Smooooothies!


Well, I'm a person who gets on food kicks. The latest one is the smoothie, and I have to admit that I think this kick will last for a while. I have a friend who worked at a popular smoothie-chain place who told me what was in them, and after making my own for a few months I've realized how delicious they are. Now I will share this love with you! It's simple! All you need to do is mix up:
1. Juice. I prefer orange juice, but you can probably use apple juice if you like the less tart and tangy types of smoothies
2. Yogurt. I buy the Wal-Mart brand of fat-free, 80-calorie yogurt-- either vanilla or strawberry-banana
3. Fruit. Fresh fruit is nice. However, if you use fresh fruit, you will also need to add ice to the blend so it's not entirely liquidy. The solution is to use frozen fruit. It's way cheaper, especially in the winter when fruits are out of season, and this way you don't have to add ice. My preference is strawberries and pineapples. I even cut up bananas and freeze them for later. This is where you can get really creative. They sell blueberries, raspberries, etc at the store, so go nuts!

Throw that all in a blender and frappe it until it has a nice consistency. Seriously, it can't get any easier. I can make one of these in about a minute TOPS. If you go this route, you will save a lot of money by not buying Jamba Juice, and these are healthier because you know what's in them (at JJ, they put ice cream in some of them, making them not-as-healthy-as-you-think).

I hope you give the homemade smoothie a try.

Until the next food kick,
Jenny

19 comments:

pagina21 | 10:21 PM

Thanks for the smoothie tips... I'm going to make a yummy one soon. :)
-Paige

Mr. Canon | 11:29 PM

Good tip...this makes miss an kitchen and my blender!

deb | 4:40 AM

YESSS! I love smoothies! In fact, I had one tonight at Paragon at Black Canyon Coffee. It was probably not so healthy, but it did have yogurt. My sister was a shift leader at JJ, so I too have enjoyed the deliciousness that is the smoothie. Thanks for inspiring me! I seriously need to buy a blender ...

Ronnica | 7:24 AM

I'm not much of a smoothie person (neither am smooth for that matter), but this actually sounds good.

Amyzing | 11:29 AM

I made my first one today. Refer to my blog for the details! Ha!

Felicia | 12:50 PM

All I need is a blender!

Ryan M | 11:49 PM

I used to make smoothies all the time. Then I stopped. I don't know why. I'm glad to see Paige read this, though... maybe she'll make me one (or one a day)!

Ryan M | 11:52 PM

Also, I have a story for you.

I saw Letterman in NYC a few months ago. There is a JJ across the street from Ed Sullivan Theater. Dave had his people run a tube from his desk on the set all the way through the theater building, outside, down the street, across the street (on a traffic light pole), back down the street again, and into JJ. They connected it to CO2 and a tub on the JJ side, and a tap on the Letterman side. Then they filled up the tub and Dave poured himself some tasty JJ from a quarter of a mile away (in tube distance). It was the super-coolest thing EVER.

Ryan M | 12:19 AM

I

Ryan M | 12:19 AM

feel

Ryan M | 12:19 AM

I

Ryan M | 12:19 AM

should

Ryan M | 12:20 AM

return

Ryan M | 12:20 AM

the

Ryan M | 12:20 AM

favor.

Ryan M | 12:20 AM

Thanks!

Jenny | 6:07 AM

Thanks Ryan!

Ryan M | 8:18 AM

And I will do this such things until Holly learns to comment again.

Sarah | 10:56 AM

Yep, smoothies are great and very simple to make! I just got pulled back into the blogging world and thought I would say hi!