Trashy Movies

This post is inspired by a conversation with my dear friend Allison and the recent viewing of the classic "White Christmas" with Bing Crosby, Rosemary Clooney, Danny Kaye and Vera-Ellen.




I watched this movie this weekend and went away feeling so good about life and Christmas and everything. It struck me that there are rarely any movies these days that can have that same effect on me. 75% of the movies out today are either trashy, inappropriate, riddled with f-bombs or so violent they leave your heart heavy. Why do I put myself through that? Also, I can't think of one movie made in the last 5 years that did not include premarital sex as part of the romantic story between two people (in my opinion, there's NOTHING romantic about sex with anyone other than your beloved and committed spouse). If you can name me one movie made recently that is set in present-day that does not include premarital sex or sexual references, I'll make you some cookies.

And on the topic of violence in films, I think I've become so desensitized to killing that I've found myself cheering for the protagonist when they finally kill their enemy. Now, I know we are not supposed to value evil in this world, but hoping for somebody to die is not necessarily right either. I know it's fiction, but I believe all of the things that we allow into our heads and hearts effect our attitudes and walk with God.

This also goes for language in films. I'm going to be completely honest and say that there have been times since I've been seriously walking with the Lord that I've let a word or two that don't honor God slip out when I've been really scared or something sudden happened or I was just downright frustrated. Those words are in my mind because I've let them in through the movies I've watched. Again, these "little" things can have a HUGE effect on my character.

I don't want to condone values that go against the Word of God. I'm not perfect either. Some of my favorite movies have these elements in them. Some films I love just because of the beauty in them- the cinematography, symbolism, the history or dialogue- which I sometimes use to justify watching despite their shady content. Sometimes I love movies because they have great quotes (The Sandlot, Elf, That Thing You Do, Mean Girls, etc).

Anyways, I'm finding that my movie tastes are changing as I'm losing more and more tolerance for the stuff that's out there. Some of my favorites are these old time movies that had real artists in them- they could act, sing, dance and be hilarious and incredibly romantic all at the same time! Go watch "White Christmas," "It's A Wonderful Life," "Rear Window," or even new movies like "Pride and Prejudice." You'll love them and have more of an appreciation of the Hollywood that deserves more respect than the current one. And feel free to pass on to me any good flicks that are truthful and worthy of watching, because there's always Someone watching us.

These are just my random and disconnected thoughts. What do you think?

11 comments:

Ryan M | 1:27 PM

The Incredibles. Cookies please.

Ryan M | 1:33 PM

Spiderman.

Felicia | 6:21 PM

I think that I am so glad you shared this. Besides Ryan's attempts for cookies, there are only a few others that make the cut. It's kind of sad how much we justify what the world's making. And I'm just as guilty! Thanks for introducing me to White Christmas back in the Duplexes. I got it for Christmas last year, but I haven't watched it yet this season! Yay for the classics!

Ronnica | 6:57 AM

A thought-provoking post, thanks. I have become more sensitive to some stuff in movies like language and sexual content, but less so to violence. I love the Pirates movies, for instance, that have little language or sex but do have violence. Oh and I love older movies more and more, too. It's the same reason why I read older books. The book I'm reading now has a protagonist who has slipped morally at several times, but the author simply mentions it without going into any description at all.

Amyzing | 11:55 AM

Yeah, In Pirates they got married first...but Jack was a womanizer..nevermind. I can't eat your cookies anyway. :(

I love this post!

Jenny | 2:08 PM

Well, Pirates isn't set in present-day, so it wouldn't have counted anyway.

I'm sad you can't eat the cookies. :(

Mr. Canon | 3:11 PM

A Walk to Remember?

Sara | 5:48 PM

I can't believe no one has said "Napolean Dynomite". Is that too old for the time frame you are looking into?

Ryan M | 9:14 AM

yep the 405 number is best. Sorry I didn't answer I was already in bed. I can totally do what you said, but I'll be coming back from Tulsa just in time for the thing so you'll probably have to drop it by my house. Email or textile will work best now cause I'm at work. Ok cool.

Dan | 9:18 AM

Yeah, I'm pretty much a movie slut, I'll watch just about anything, and the dirtiest stuff can always be written off as art... I do agree that words and images tend to hang with me after seeing in a movie. I guess the old saying is true... garbage in, garbage out.

Sarah | 1:29 PM

Yeah, words stay with me...especially bad words, and then they'll come out my mouth when I stressed out or stuck in traffic :( So I try to stay away from movies with a lot of swearing. Violence in movies (like Transformers, Terminator,Pirates etc) doesn't bother me, but maybe it should. I think in the end it's where your heart is at.

I studied Vera Ellen in a film class I took my senior year...she was pretty amazing. She had a really tragic life, but she sure could dance & sing :)