Who can get away with this?

I really enjoy 91 FM playing new and fun Christian songs for all believers to enjoy. Lately I've had the priveledge (sp?) of attuning my ears to the delightful group Supertropolis.
I first heard this group thinking they were 50 Cent on a Christian station, but after listening to the lyrics, the In Da Club was really Out Da Club. This uplifting tune speaks of the hard life of the inner city Christian "converting thugs" and bringing them, well, out da club. For a few months I've had the distinct pleasure of listening to this group blossom out of the hard ranks of Christian rap as we know it, as they remake all different sorts of secular rap songs of today.
My new favorite is a rendition of the ever-so-popular "Drop it Like It's Hot" by the acclaimed Snoop. But no, no, "Supertrop" converts (cheesy laugh) this catchy tune for the born again to be encouraged. Such inspiring lyrics include, "I'm a Christ dude, doing Christ things...." and "When da sin try to get at you stop it on the spot, stop it on the spot, stop it on the spot. When you fi'n da get da attitude, drop it on the spot...." and my personal favorite, "I've got the Holy on my arm and my Father named God and this love is like Jesus I got it goin on."

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

More groups like this need to come on the scene to inspire the Saints with the oh-so-difficult task of rewriting lyrics to popular songs so that we'll listen to them. Supertropolis redefines the word "original."

4 comments:

deb | 10:13 AM

I LOVE SUPERTROP!!! They make me laugh so hard. I love it. We should totally go to a concert sometime :)

Sarah | 10:04 PM

We always need new blood. I love you hope you had a great weekend.

D C Bryant | 2:20 PM

I love it, their name is Supertropolis and what greater metroplex in the world (or skyline for that matter) than the ginormous Oklahoma City?

Anonymous | 10:26 PM

Although they are alot of fun to listen to, "Supertrop" is not original..If I recall, the Bible mentions something about Thou Shalt Not Steal...and, well... I think they're on the right track, but should right their own stuff. It seems to me that they are glorifying the sinners that made these tunes famous...For instance, R. Kelley, Snoop, etc. I'll take Michael W. Smith anyday! HOTTIE!!!