Moving On

I hate change. I really do. It takes a lot out of me because I'm a really sentimental person. The smallest thing can remind me of something great that happened or something I went through or something someone did for me, etc. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I really fear moving forward because what if it's not as great as everything I just went through?

For instance: college. It really has been THE time of my life... so far. I've had soooo much fun and God's shaped me into a very different person than I was before. I've gone places I've never been before because of college- Miami, New Orleans, Chicago, New Mexico, Cambodia, etc. There have also been many firsts that I experienced here that I am so grateful for. God's given me fantastic friends that I will have for a lifetime. He's drawn me closer to Himself because of the different faith times He's taken me through. It's been challenging, hilarious, scary, comfortable, uncomfortable and great overall. I still want that, but I can't have it anymore because my five years is almost up.

So it's time to think about the next thing. I have no idea what my plans are when I finish school in May. I'll just get this one out there- I've applied to grad school so I can pursue a teaching career or maybe even go into ministry. But I still don't know if that's what the Lord wants me to do. My other option is to stick around Norman, but I don't have job prospects as of now. My mind changes itself just about every other day. I wish God would be clear about HIS vision for my life so I could make decisions right now, but I will just have to wait. The thing is not to make decisions based on fear. I cannot fear having a lame future compared to the last 5 years of my life. I cannot fear making a mistake. God holds my life in His hands and is big enough to clean up my messes. But more than that- He is sovereign. Everything that happens to me has to pass through His hands first; He is in control. And I cannot put God in a box and try to make sense of all of this difficult stuff that's happened recently, telling myself that He did ____ for this reason or that.

I am so thankful God led me to OU for my college career. It was a scary decision to make as a little senior in high school, but I can look back now and count the blessings of making that decision. His plan is evident in these pages of my life. I can confidently go forward to the next thing, knowing that He has things in store for me. I can look back and see the great things He has done (or will do) in my life. I'm excited for that!

Speaking of excited, I've told some people, but I'll just throw this out there again- God's opened a door for me to go back to SE Asia for a couple of weeks this summer! It's crazy how the whole thing came together. A group that is going needed some extra people to go to make the airfare cheaper, so God graciously given that to me. I'll write about the details later. This thing has just been such an encouragement to me during these last couple of month of discouragement. He is good!

Anyhoo, that's what's going on nowadays. Pray that I will be patient until the Lord reveals to me what He wants me to do... and that He'll reveal it!

7 comments:

Sara | 5:06 PM

Hi Jenny. 1) Super excited that you can go back to Asia. 2) I think that when you get out there and start a new phase of your life, no matter how scary/new/uncomfortable two things happen. First, you are giving God the chance to hold you up and secondly, for Him to show you how strong you really can be. Have a great week!

*Paige* | 5:34 PM

I can certainly relate. I am so grateful I had the time of my life in college. It is very hard to wait for God to let you know His plans for the next chapter of your life, but it is so worth the wait.

I'm so glad you are going back to SE Asia this summer!! :)

Dan | 7:40 PM

I think you should come down here. No pressure!

Ryan M | 8:49 PM

I remember those feelings. Not that they've entirely passed, but at least I'm done with the first step!

Anyways, something that really, really, really helped me in that period was a book that Alex had me read. "Finding the Will of God: A Pagan Notion?" by Bruce Waltke. I highly recommend it. Paige read it too, and I think she also thought it very useful. Hopefully you have it in the bookstore and could read it at work!

Sarah | 10:00 PM

Friend, i can totally understand about moving on- (if you look at my journal from the summer it talked about moving forward and being thankful for where i was at)

Not say that I don't miss my college days, but its been neat to see the faithfulness of God and His care He has for me!

Love you!!!
Press On!

Jenny | 8:27 AM

Thanks guys! Ryan, it's funny you should mention that book, because we just got it in the mail and I put it on the shelf today. Weird. Maybe I should read it!
Thanks for all the encouragement. I seriously need it!

Anissa Nishira | 2:59 PM

YOu are GREAT and dont worry I bet the next 5 years will be far better than you can ever imagine!!